Weekend & Holiday Ideas
We know that weekends and holidays can feel like a long time at home without the routine of school, so we've gathered together a list of places that we think would be great fun for you and your family.
There is a fantastic website called Day Out with the Kids which allows you to search for things to do and places to go in your local area; always a good place to start!
- Willows Farm (St Albans) - a wonderful family day out with a fun packed programme whatever the weather!
- Hounslow Urban Farm - interactive farm where visitors can enjoy a variety of colourful and unusual farm animals close-up
- Whipsnade Zoo - daily animal shows from giant giraffes and beautiful butterflies
- London Zoo - Special Children's Day 19th May - 20th May 2018. This is an annual event at ZSL London Zoo welcoming children with special needs and their families and friends. With increased specialist facilities and number of staff, as well as special interactive events and discounted entry, Special Children's Day is an exciting event not to be missed.
- Aldenham Country Park - 160 acres of parkland, farmland and lakeside walks including Winnie-the-Pooh's 100 Aker Wood, Pony Zone, Woodland Adventures, Outdoor Play areas, Little Farmers Play Barn and our working interactive Farm and Small Animal Petting Area
- Thames Valley Adventure Playground - a chance for children & adults with all types of special need to enjoy the fun, freedom and friendship afforded by the opportunity to play and share experiences in a safe and stimulating environment
- King George Park (Bushey) - a park with cycle paths, adventure playground, sandpit and water splash (for when the weather's warmer) and a brand new cafe
- Cassiobury Park (Watford) - acres of space for a kick-about or kite-flying there are also playgrounds, a miniature railway, bungee trampolines and a cafe
- Canons Park Playground - a lovely space that is also fully accessible, now that the country-style pathway through the Spinney woodland has finally been completed, enabling wheelchair users and families with pushchairs to explore this wonderful quarter-mile long walk through woods
- Hillingdon Outdoor Activity Centre (HOAC) - there's a wide range of Junior courses at HOAC which run during Easter, Spring half-term, the Summer holidays and October half-term for 5-8 years (Nemo's Watersports Adventures only), 8-10 years and 11-18 years. For more information call 01895 824171 or email admin@hoacnet
- Look Out Discovery Centre (Bracknell) - over 90 hands-on activities suitable for children of all ages
- Colne Valley Special Sailors (Rickmansworth) - sailing adventures for people with disabilities
- Bekonscot Model Village & Railway (Beaconsfield) - the world’s oldest and original model village
- Compass Theatre (Hillingdon) - local arts centre
- Thomley Hall (Worminghall, Bucks) - friendly and experienced staff run fun and educational activities which cater for all ages and abilities, with an excellent range of fully-accessible facilties
- Rickmansworth Aquadrome - a nature reserve in 41 hectares, open 365 days of the year and is free to visit
- Rural Activity Garden Centre (Hillingdon) - rural tea room is a log cabin set in the tranquil setting of the prestigious Rural Activity Garden Centre. It is managed by HACS who deliver a ‘Stepping Stones to Life skills and Employment’ project for young people affected by autism spectrum and learning disabilities
- Airport Bowl (Heathrow) - a 36-lane bowling centre
- Companion Cycling (Bushy Park, nr Hampton Court) - a community resource to help everyone enjoy the fun of cycling, by offering unique access to specialised cycles in a beautiful park
- Harrow Arts Centre - a local arts centre, with lots of things to do and see, and ramps and lifts to all areas
- Harrow Short Breaks - Harrow Council's directory of services providing children and young people with disabilities with a huge variety of activities and short breaks
And even more ideas for during the week:
- Harrow Shed - an inclusive theatre group, taking inspiration from Chicken Shed theatre company. It involves young people aged from 7-16 coming to Hatch End High School on a Wednesday night to partake in acting, singing, movement and just general fun!
- Beat Building (Northwood) - run vibrant and energising music classes for SEN children using African drums and funky percussion. Contact Debra on 07721 623171 or email@example.com
Yoga Paradise offers a range of yoga workshops for children:
- 3-day Yoga Workshops for Children
- Parent and Child Yoga Workshop
- Breathe Out Stress Yoga Workshops
- Saturday Family Yoga Classes
For more information contact Priya on 07961 593621 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blank Canvas Art Club - imaginative kids art classes in Ruislip and Eastcote for ages 2-18. Inspire, involve, explore! Call 07773 819603 or email email@example.com to book a place
- Little Willows - activities include pottery painting, drawing, furniture painting, watercolour painting, knitting and crochet, arts for children, make-a-bear, boogie babies - email for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org