Speech & Language Therapy

To support each child to reach their communication potential and share meaningful interactions with those around them
What does a Speech and Language Therapist do in a school setting?

Speech and Language Therapy (SaLT) enables students to reach their full communication potential. Students will learn their preferred communication system and develop confidence through lots of opportunities to practise.
We promote a total communication environment which means all methods of communication are encouraged and respected.
Students have individualised targets that are set following observation and assessment. These are achieved through working with class teams and meeting with parents. Students may be seen in a group, in a one to one session, or in the classroom.

What does our team provide?
• Assessments to establish the type of programme offered
• Individualised targets
• Written reports for EHC plans and transitions e.g. students who are leaving school
• Workshops and support for parents to develop communication skills at home
• Liaison with other professionals to ensure students can participate and access their learning potential
• Support in classrooms to model SaLT programmes
• Training for staff on a regular basis e.g. workshops, inset days or class-based weekly meetings
• Support for pupils who have difficulty eating and drinking.
• SALT Input is reviewed on a termly basis


What are the aims of Speech and Language Therapy?

• Students are more able to express themselves
• Increased understanding of the world around them
• Students can access the curriculum more effectively
• Students can share meaningful interactions with others
• More confidence and independence in the community

How is a pupil referred?
Most pupils have Speech and Language Therapy provision listed in the Education, Health & Care Plan (EHC Plan). If staff or parents have any concerns regarding pupil’s communication or eating and drinking then they should contact the schools' speech and language therapist.
Pupils with eating and drinking difficulties will be referred to the specialist speech and language therapist who will assess them at home or at school.